View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Mostly Harmless

When I did my M103 I left the exhaust and intake manifolds in the car. It was much easier , but I did use a rope hoist to support it as it weighs a bit and it's a long reach into the engine compartment.I went back in the archives and found this old post of mine :I just did my 103 head gasket last weekend and the only special tool needed was the headbolt socket , also a 17 mm hex for the inner part of the chaintensioner (the 17 mm didn't come with any set I could find for cheap ) . The shorter bolt will probably work , mine just kind of screwed itself out and I did damage the pin with vise grips trying to get the bolt out . I touched it up with a little emory cloth and it tapped in just fine. To lift the head I screwed a 2X8 across a couple of trusses in the ceiling of my garage and attached an eyebolt to it and rigged a 6-part rope pulley to it . Just to double-check the strength of my 'crane' I put my full weight on it and nothing happened ,it handled the 30-40 pound head no problem.To lift the head (without manifolds) I used the factory lifting eye at the rear and a front cover bolt in the lower lefthand bolthole , instead of a chain I used a 3/8" nylon rope (SWL 700 lbs)to take advantage of it's energy. After everything was unbolted the only thing keeping the head from coming straight up was the stud in the center of the intake , I put some tension on the crane until the sling was stretching,wiggled the head a little and it was free. I landed it on top of the fuel distributor and rad support (cushioned with a wad of rags to protect the valves) and then lifted it from there onto the bench.It went back on in the same manner , hooking the stud back into the intake with tension and then lowering it down the rest of the way. Piece of cake NOT !

Last edited by Kyle Blackmore; 10-31-2005 at 09:36 PM.