View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM
dieselarchitect

well

you are entitled to your opinion.

the jacks are an aquired taste, but they work well within their limits. they are lightweight and last forever.

i used to have a bmw motorcycle. 72 r60/5 the type with the cylinders that stick out at 90 degrees to the chassis. it had a side kickstand that when extended was invisible because it was under the center of gravity of the ,cycle where it belonged. the stand was spring loaded so when you stood the bike up it withdrew. all the professional cycle testers loved to bad mouth the side stand because of the infernal side stand that sprung up. i guess they were used to the kind you have to kick up. and perhaps they stood the bike up and then tried to set it back down on the side stand and the bike fell over. who knows?

the point is that the side stand was spring loaded because it was out of sight and with a spring loaded design it kept one from having a bad accident from leaving the (invisible) side stand down. it was a well thought out safety feature. but the test guys were used to harleys (perhaps as an example) so they thought it was stupid.

my point is if you understand how the jack works and accept that it is not anything that it isn't it will work fine for you.

or you could carry a twenty pound floor jack around with you.

good luck either way

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.