View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
MB, love..hate..love..

Cleaning the driver's side switch with memory buttons

Today I decided to clean up my driver side switch, and took the opportunity to sharpen my close-up picture skills. This switch is the same as the passenger side except for the 3 memory buttons. I'll add a few notes to the previous post to complete the procedure.

- It is possible to remove the switch from the door without removing the panel, at least on the W126, but it's safer to remove the entire escutcheon plate around the door handle, and the upper screw for the armrest, first. This will minimize chances of breaking plastic tabs getting it out.

- Notice the picture of the case with the screwdrivers and bits stuck around the tabs to keep them pryed out for easy removal of the cover. By using gentle pressure, the cover comes out smoothly with no damage to the tabs or case body (you know how this works if you've taken apart a Hirschmann antenna case, similar design).

- Cleaning the little contact bar 'wings' is easiest with fine steel wool. Just a quick buff will polish them clean.

- A square shaped blade in an X-Acto knife works really well to do the contact points on the case bottom. Just scrape until they are clean and shiny.

- When reassembling, put a dab of grease on the tops of the springs to hold the balls in place. Put a dab on the posts on the back of each of the 3 memory buttons to hold their little springs on too. Also, a piece of masking tape on the buttons on the outer part will keep them from dropping out when the cover is placed onto the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Seat Switch Cleaning-dsc00002.jpg   Power Seat Switch Cleaning-dsc00017.jpg   Power Seat Switch Cleaning-dsc00014.jpg   Power Seat Switch Cleaning-dsc00016.jpg   Power Seat Switch Cleaning-dsc00006.jpg  

Last edited by donbryce; 11-02-2005 at 07:33 PM.