View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Ignoramus

Unhappy 1982 240D for sale. :(

I'm selling my 240D as a parts car, it failed inspection today. What I thought was minimal rust is in fact almost complete frame rot, hidden by the rubbery black weather-coating.

The car has 200700 miles on the clock, original tranny, never been rebuilt. Odometer broke while I owned it. It works the majority of the time, occasionally gets hung up when rolling over a new mile (the 1/10th mile indicator gets hung up while it's rolling over from 9 to 0), in which case I reset the trip odometer, and it starts working again.

I just paid 400 dollars to replace all of the brake calipers, hoses, and pads, no more than a week ago.

The alternator does not charge properly, resulting in a slow battery drain.

The engine is in good shape. There is blow-by, but it isn't terrible. It makes the oil cap dance like a tea kettle. I cannot speak for the car's first 170K, but I have personally changed the oil every 3-4 thousand miles since I have owned it. The car returns approx 23 miles per gallon.

The transmission flares in between gears. I've gotten into the habit of feathering the accelerator while it shifts. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the tranny fluid and filter haven't been changed in more than 25K, so I'm sure that bit of maintanence would help reduce the lag between shifts.

There is a water leak in the floor of the left rear passenger seat. I've never seen any puddling, but I've had the misfortune of leaving papers/school books on the floor for a few days, and they have been saturated with icky yellow water.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much I can get for this thing. I'm trying to sell it for parts. I won't lie to any potential buyers, like the PO lied to me/misinformed me due to ignorance.

Do you think I can fetch 2 thousand for it, selling it for parts?

EDIT: please realize that the subject of this thread has been altered slightly, and we are no longer trying to assess the value of the vehicle in question.
My name is Michael, and I am an 18 year old binge-drinkin', cigar-smokin', novel-writin', all around unsavory and unnattractive guy. I tell long-winded stories, and I only shave once a week, although I've had to do it every day since I was 16.

Last edited by Glinko; 11-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.