View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 10:07 AM

The upper timing seal as you are finding is very tricky on the 104. I don't know about the pin you are talking about, I would think it is an alignment pin. I will tell you how I did mine, I hope it helps. I would think the alignment pin needs to be intact in order to ensure the cover is set properly in place.

When you take it apart, maintain cleanliness. This is important, do not get any dirt in the engine, and change your oil after you have completed repair and verified there are no leaks.

When dis-assembled, clean everything. especially the back of the cover where it meets the head, there is no gasket here. I used a slight film (very slight) of silicone before re-assembly.

There is a groove in the top of the bottom protion of the timing cover. This is where the u-seal sits, this groove has to be very clean and it will hold the seal in place while you push the cover in.

After everything is clean, put the u-seal in the groove, I dabbed a small amount of silicone along the bottom and the ends of the seal, pop it into the groove. Then take the cover, put a small film of silicone on the edges where it meets the head and work it in. The bottom of the seal is grooved, but the top of the u-seal is not, that is how it stays in place, work the cover slowly into place. Once the cover meets the head, get a flashlight and check the seal. Sometimes you have to move the cover back out just a little bit, and then back in to ensure the seal is seated right. But you can see it, provided the area is clean, remember it has to be very clean. The seal is green so easy to see.

The magnetic variable CAM controller on the intake side requires no adjustments or attention for this procedure. Just make sure it is clean, the variable portion of the cam rides inside the magnetic adjuster.

When using the silicone use very little. You don't want any breaking off and getting into the engine as it can cause clogging of the oil galleries. Just a slight film that is all. I used a little more on the ends of the u-seal where it is butted up against the head, that is where they all leak, four parts of the engine come together there, so with all the hot and cold, it is a no wonder they leak. After you replace it and do it right, you shoud be good for another 7-10 years.

With every Mercedes there is a procedure for repair, just take your time and look at it, you will figure it out, the cars are meant to be worked on.

Good luck !
Brian

www.MBCA.org/northtexas

Join MBCA!!!