View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter
See if I have this right.
1983 300TD states:
1. Help me !!!

2. I waited 25 minutes.... hurry up and help me.

3. I'm too lazy to use the search feature.

Did you not read the sticky about searching first or did you not understand it?

Wow. Guess I really struck a cord with tirebiter. I'm not too lazy to work on my car and do my own maintenance. And I'm certainly not too lazy and disrespectful of other peoples' time to ask questions that can easily be answered by going thru the archives. And I do appreciate the help of great guys like Whunter and other forum "heavies" that are so helpful and generous with their time, experience, and knowledge. So...I don't really know where that leaves Tirebiter. I can only assume that all the sunny, beautiful weather that he enjoys in Southern California and Hawaii has ruined his ability to enjoy life. Hey, how about wrapping up this thread!?

O.k. In my personal opinion, rear wheel bearings are not, as Whunter and others suggested, a DIY. At first I was very concerned because of some incorrect information that the entire trailing arm had to be removed to get at the hub. Interestingly enough, it was the Mercedes dealership that told me that. I had an independent do the job for me. He used a genuine Mercedes bearing package that cost $120. The job took him approx. 4 hours and the total cost was $380. The car is back to running great; no more metal on metal grinding coming from the rear. There we go. Thanks for all your help.
Damon