View Single Post
Old 06-27-2001, 12:57 PM
Just trying to redeem myself here….

Just trying to redeem myself here….

Well, as always, Steve is right on the money. I forgot to mention the timing issue. I guess that I should not try to help people that late at night. Also, I should have specified that my reply would apply *only* if it was a butchered up gray market car with the type system that I described. It sounds like the cars that Steve federalized were done properly – now doesn’t that surprise everyone? (That’s called being facetious, thank you )

And, Steve, I don’t know if you’ve come across a car where the aftermarket O2 system has the frequency-valve controlled bleed point tied into the control pressure line, like I described. In my (limited to one example) experience with that type system, the mixture is controlled in a relatively sluggish manner – it does not respond very quickly to changing loads, but seems OK in a steady state mode *unless* the basic mixture is outside of the unit’s capability for compensation. This is how/why I was able to fool it into compliance with an adjustment to the basic mixture setting. I do know that this will not work with a *properly* engineered system. I don’t know if it was common practice outside of California, but there are a lot of gray market butcher jobs here.

Another issue may be the *ability* to run the car through Georgia’s test procedure with the timing altered. Here in California, they check the timing & report it on the results. One time, on my 1980 U.S. spec 107, I had the timing set 4 degrees advanced (where it runs much better) and I forgot to ‘fix’ that problem before taking it for a smog check. The VERY first thing he checked was the timing; I immediately realized that I had forgotten to reset it to specs, so I said that before he went any further, I would reset it and come right back - but he said that the test was already “in progress” and he couldn’t stop. What a load of B.S.; the guy hadn’t even entered any of the vehicle data into the machine yet. I stood there as he went through the procedures, knowing full well that he was going to screw me. It passed the sniffer test just fine, but the guy FAILED me for the timing. To add insult to injury, he also reported “tampering” for the timing being off. Tampering is when hardware is physically *altered*, not if someone’s timing ‘drifts’ out of spec. What an SOB – He offered to reset my timing for $45 (!!). For the 5 minutes of work that he said would take ¾ hour of shop time. Plus *another* $40 for the retest. Unbelievable. I would have gladly paid him a reasonable amount to reset it on the spot – I mean everyone deserves to make a living, but $45 to set the timing? To make a long story short(er), you may want to find someone that is a little more consumer friendly than what I ran up against that one time. I wish harm to no one, but I have to admit that I was a *little* pleased to see that he was out of business a few months later. Karma?

Good Luck!