View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Rogue T Intolerant!!!

I don't mean to rain on your idea, as there are probably folks interested, but I enjoy the SLS on both of my wagons so much I just felt I needed to chime in.
First, I don't feel that they are overcomplicated. Actually a fairly basic hydraulic system. More complicated than a coil spring I guess, but nothing like the ACC unit.
I feel like the parts can be found for not that much $ either. Luckily, the system components last for quite some time, and replacing the accumulators is about the expense of nice shocks. I just got a hydraulic pump a couple of weeks ago for $50 bucks shipped from a nice person on this forum whose identity I lost in our system crash here.
And you will never duplicate the ride characteristics. It is a good effort, and one I'm sure some folks will utilize, but man that SLS is nice.
Good luck, and I'm glad you're testing. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propigskin
I am an owner of a 300TD, as many of you are.

Most here have dealt with a good system (SLS), but when it breaks, it is very expensive to fix. Also, it is not the most practical system in the world. As it was a good concept, it is still pretty overcomplicated.

Instead of spending hundreds and possibly thousands in the future to repair a sagging rear end, I decided that going with a conventional suspension is the rear was the best idea instead of fixing the SLS.

I know there are hundreds of 300TD wagon owners who are in need of a perfect alternative to the SLS rear suspension.
Thanks
Erik

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John