Thread: Gm
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM

Well the platform sharing and such is obviously a huge cost cutting factor. But, the only GM I've ever owned was a 99 Bravada Platinum Edition. It was a nice truck until the wiring began to get shoddy. The alternator and battery went after it sat overnight and I replaced that and continued tracking down a short. It got to the point where I found it to be in the rear defroster so I disconnected it. I had picked up the CLK earlier this year and decided I would rid myself of the SUV (that proved smart after gas soared and I was only getting 15.8 mpg). I'm not surprised by GM's apparent downfall, it happens when your product is consistently cheap. The mrs drives a Sunfire now and boy does that thing sound like its going to fall apart. I drove a CTS the other day that was less than a year old, and when you shut the door it was tinny and rattled a bit while sounding like it might fall off. Compare that to the tank 124 with its beautiful thud sound. So far the CLK has been pretty good, though it doesn't see much usage in the bad weather we've had for most of the fall. I still don't think I'll be a MB guy for the long haul (I've been a Mopar guy for years), in terms of new car purchases. Reliability would have to improve big time for me to consider it. That, and I see more and more of them on the road and now you don't feel as unique. I'd rather drive the 124 than the CLK, at least I won't see it as often on the road. But hey, I won't mourn for GM since I hate the idea of the "Hummer"...which isn't really a Hummer...though I don't think they will disappear. A company as large as GM will somehow manage to stick around no matter how bad things get. Maybe they can sell Saab and give it back some dignity.