View Single Post
Old 06-28-2001, 11:44 AM

unlike chrome, the gold is hard to strip. also the first time when they strip the chrome they need to activate the nickle so it can be gold plated. if they wait too long after the nickle is activated, the gold plating is not going to be perfect either. it the gold plating is too thin, the metal can get oxidized and with your hand with sweat rubbing on that plated door handle, you can even strip off the nickle layer. then you have a uneven surface. uneven in the sense of layer of the metal, because you can only plate on the nickle (you can plate on any metal but it won't shine like chrome), your replate job will look horrible. i plated the gold myself the first time. it looked good for about 2 yrs only. i tried to re-gold-plated it but it did not work. now all my emblems, front grill, and hood star are brand new, chromed only. i like the look of chrome better now. it's more durable. the only problem i have is the chrome pieces on the door handles. i think i am going to paint the door handles body color instead.