View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
BioDiesel Hopeful

With an 86 SDL engine, what would that be? Is that a 603?

I'm about to install a remote starter (as well as keyless entry and alarm, all one unit) in my 300TD (w/ the 617 engine), and I've done some reading on how to do it.

For one thing, is the factory alarm all wired up on your car? I'm going to guess that it may not be, given the engine change.

Also, does the 603 have an electronic shutoff, or a vacuum shutoff?

If it has a vacuum shutoff, like the 617, then there is an additional piece you will need for remote starting, a vacuum changeover valve. An MB one is available, but this type of valve is common on mid 80's gassers as part of the EGR system. Basically it is a valve with a pair of input wires, and three vacuum ports. You can plumb the valve such that when the car is turned on by the remote starter, the valve is activated by the remote starter, and keeps the car running. When the remote starter shuts the car down, the valve switches, and the car shuts off. If you turn the key in the car, it doesn't matter that the valve switches, because the key is now keeping the car running.

How do you plumb this? I don't know, I haven't figured that out yet, but several forum members have done it, do some searches on the topic "remote starter" and "remote start diesel" etc.

As far as turning the car on, most remote starters have one of two ways of dealing with diesels, they can either sense the glow plug light, and turn on when the light goes out, or they can wait a preset amount of time, like 20 seconds, before starting. Some can do both.

Diesels do take longer to warm up, but it can be handy to get them started a little early. It may not work on the worst days, but my car will usually fire up on the first try with no 'goosing' on my part, and even the worst days it will usually come together on the second or third try, even with no fiddling with the idle on my part. If your car is in great mechanical condition, the starter shouldn't have a problem getting it going most days.

Anyway, hope that helps! Sorry I don't know much about the specifics of your car, I may know more in a week or two when I install my kit (the parts are still in the mail).

peace,
sam

1982 300TD Astral Silver w/ 250k (BIO BNZ)
2001 Aprilia SR50 Corsa Red w/ 5.5k (>100 MPG)