Thread: No Turbo!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldiehard

Brian, are you referring to operating the 603 or 617 engine with a dead turbo?
I tried operating my 603 with the crossover removed and it died, I am now thinking the computer compensated for lack of air by removing fuel as it nailed badly. It could not be driven at all!
I would like to think removing the crossover is almost the same as running without the turbo in the 603 however something else comes into play that is completely the opposite to what is true in the 617. The 603 turbo model isn't designed to be operated NA.

A 617 should run ok (although sluggish) with a dead turbo. I drove my '85 300TD with a bad turbo after the bearings failed on a new rebuild from Majestic Turbo. It was real slow off the line, like zero to sixty in maybe 30 secs. A 240D would have beat me easily.

I still don't understand my 603 experience though. Try removing your crossover and see what I mean!
I had the 603 without any boost for about three months until I fixed the vacuum lines. So, effectively, it was running without the turbo. No ill effects.

In your specific case, I cannot fathom why it had difficulty in running without the crossover pipe. I've thought about it more than a bit and still cannot put any good reason to it. The turbo does nothing at idle. It's not moving enough air to matter. The engine is perfectly capable of drawing its own air for combustion AFAIK. There is no computer for fuel or air regulation other than the idle control. This circuit simply maintains a set idle without regard to load.

The engine has more than enough air at idle so I remain perplexed as to why it would not idle without the crossover.