View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 AM

Directions but no photos

Here are the steps I used to do this job. I assume this will go to the archives on it's own without anymore input from me? Sorry, I didn't take any photos. Good idea though. The next time I have a major project, I'll do that.
Steps involved in dismantling ‘95 Mercedes C280 to replace steering wheel, turn signal, or cruise control

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. Wait 1 minute to let residual current in air bag dissipate.
3. Remove driver’s side foot panel. No screws, just lift it off the snaps.
4. Remove molding from around the drivers side door.
5. Disconnect hood release cable and remove the handle. A little tricky, but keep messing with it.
6. Remove the bottom panel under the steering wheel. All the plug-in harnesses are under there.
Use a philips head screwdriver. The only real problem is the screw that is under the right drivers knee. Its behind a little faux plug and is inset 4 or 5 inches. This is a hex screw and requires an 8 mm socket.
7. Removing the air bag:
On the backside of the steering wheel there are two inset screws that require a size 30 torx head. These will loosen but they won’t come out. The airbag is now loose. Disconnect the small plug at the center. Store the bag in an out of the way place with the exposed side down.
8. Using a large allen wrench, loosen the steering wheel nut. Mine was in pretty tight and I had to wrench on it hard enough that it made me nervous about breaking something. I used a 2 ft. length of pipe as a lever. It finally snapped loose and then it came off very easily.
9. Nothing tricky from here. Just take off the various layers of screwed on devises until you get to the one you want.
10. Be sure to note the routing of the wires and then route them back the same way when you reassemble the unit.
11. Follow the wires of the mechanism you are replacing and disconnect.
Note: Don’t bother hoping you can disconnect these harnesses without having full access to them. They’re in pretty tight and require some leverage to free them up.
12. Reverse the procedure to reassemble.

Disclaimer: I have related my experience as accurately as I could recall. If I have overlooked something (especially something safety related) I apologize. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable (or with a different experience) than I can add to this and correct or embellish these directions.