View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 PM

If you are having problems starting the car you could have a crank sensor problem. The temp sensor isn't likely to matter as far as starting goes.

he most appropriate way to test the sensor circuit is to probe the wire and measure the voltage. I'm not sure of the actual values but I would say that with the key on and the wire disconnected the wire shoul have close to 5v. When attached to the sensor which is a variable resistor. The values that I see in Florida are around 3v when cold and down as low as .8v or so when hot. Measuring the resistance of the sensor is a poor evaluation. When voltage is measured in a working system it evaluates all the issues: output from the controller, all connections and the value of the sensor. It does it the way the value is used by the controller and as such gives the most complete measure of the circuit.

Another simple diagnostic mechanism would be to switch the two wires. The sensor prepares the same signal for both KE and ignition, but there are two outputs that are the same. They can be switched by just switching the two single wire connectors. To be of any use, such a technique must also involve some form of precise evaluation such as watching the EHA current on KE or the exact timing of the ignition. If this is a 88 or newer model the value will have a substituted value used by the controller if the circuit is open. In other words if you just pull the wire off the controller won't think it instantly went to the dark side of the moon.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician