View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palangi
Take a close look at the trunk seal. One of mine has a crease in it. Kind of looks like some previous owner may have routed a CB antenna cable or something diagonally across the seal. I am going to have to replace the seal in order to cure the wet trunk problem. This one also has dampness and evidence of rust on the bottom of the trunk lid.
My trunk seal looks a bit rough. When I got it, part of the metal rail the seal is attached to had rusted out. I fashioned a piece of thin steel to bridge the gap and attached it with mucho JB Weld. It's hard to figure the trunk seal. Even if it's not perfect, the little channel around it ought to drain out most all of the water. The trunk on my Bimmer is almost loose around the seal -- doesn't seem to close super tight but it hardly leaks at all. Just a few drops in one spot.

I went to see a 300SD that looked real good in the Craigslist picture. Looked good up close too but had many little bugs. The owner said he was a mechanic.... well, maybe, hard to say. His trunk was pretty wet also. He'd replaced the trunk seal and there must be some tricks to it he didn't know about. At the two sharpest turns, the stuff kinda puckered out. Definitely not the way it comes from the factory.

Not to be a wet blanket, just a word of caution.