View Single Post
Old 07-05-2001, 12:35 PM
You may want to look at this thread, it is long but Techron does come up in the middle.

Hard starting?

To save you some time & effort, here is a quote from a posting I made in that thread:

<<< I second the motion by Rdetoy. Techron used to be stocked at the local MBZ dealers in Southern California years ago. It is undoubtedly effective stuff. So is the Ventil Sauber; it is excellent. They are probably the only two truly effective (gasoline) injection cleaners on the market; they are not snake oil.

Problem was that some brain surgeons thought that if one can of techron is good, then two or three is better. Or they would add it at every fill up. Wrong move. The techron would ‘wash away’ the oil from the cylinder bores (actually it didn’t physically remove it per se, it broke down the oil film and thus made it ineffective. Mercedes ended up eating quite a few engines on warranty because of its misuse, and Presto - no more Techron at the dealers.

Definitely change your oil after running through the Techron. I always use a bottle of techron or vetil sauber in the tank of gas used prior to the next oil change on my gas engined babies. >>>

Also, Mike Murrell is referring to what is known as X-66, and it is NOT a fuel additive. DO NOT add X-66 to your gas tank! I can only guess as to the consequences, but I’d bet you would have every rubber line in the fuel system *melt* from the inside out. And if the possibility of self-immolation is not bad enough, the garbage resulting from the breakdown would plug every small orifice in the system, i.e., injectors, and fuel distributor (in the case of CIS cars).

[Edited by RunningTooHot on 07-05-2001 at 12:43 PM]