View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Retirement question

I still have 20 some years to go before retirement, but there is this nagging question/concern of mine I like to share and see what you guys think.

We keep hearing by the time the baby boomers retire, there will be no Social Security left for us, and our 401K and pension are no safe haven either. So what is there to do when I get ready to retire?

I have a 401K and contributing to the max the Gov't allows since it was first introduced. I have a pension plan left over from the days I worked for the RBOC. I also have a 6-figure saving accounts from deducting certain percentage every pay check since the first day I entered the workforce.

However, base on the inflation rate, whatever money I have just don't seem enough to retire comfortably like our parents do. Not to mention any of those savings are in perile and go up in smoke at any moment - natural diaster (especially when the database got wipe out), corporate greed, changes of the law, etc.

So.......I was thinking.......how about retiring to a country where living cost is low. Say, Central America, South America, Brazil, India, China, Thailand or some island in the Pacific?

I would imagine by the time I retire, these so called developing countries will be rather developed, i.e. better medical, better transportation. And though they will never be as developed as we are here in the U.S. If worse come to worse, I can always come back to the States for major medical treatments. If I am not on death bed, that is.

Have you guys ever thought about packing it all up and live somewhere life is cheaper and simpler? Or my Starbuck was a little strong this morning?