View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Picture of the bad guys.

I share your pain Pete. I did some research on this problem a few months ago. This is a synopsis:

The fungi is Hormoconis Resinae, previously called Cladosporium Resinae.

The fungi breaks down stable compounds such as the benzene ring structures of fuel to simpler linear hydrocarbons that can then be broken up further by sulphur-dependant Pseudomona Aeruginosa (bacteria) species. Collectively, the microbes will over time greatly impair the ignition characteristics of fuel.

Cladosporium resinae also produces a bio-surfactant that degrades fuel by allowing water to partially mix with it creating an emulsion, which affects the combustive qualities of the fuel, impacting the performance characteristics of the engine and increasing fuel consumption.

The problems is that the fungi multiply rapidly into dense mats. Their strong acidic excreta, when released into water and fuel, become extremely corrosive to the whole fuel system.

A biocide kills the critters, but leave their dead bodies behind which are what do most of the clogging.

Not sure if the Startron does what it says. I spoke to an engineer at Star-Brite and they claim it allows the critters to be passed through filters and burned.

I know, too much information for a lousy microbe.

How about we just call 'em bugs?
Attached Thumbnails
Algae/Fungus fixation...-ares2_240x197.jpg  

Former cars:
1984 300D 445k (!!) (Strider) Original (and not rebuilt) engine and transmission. Currently running on V80 ( 80% vegetable oil, 20% petroleum products). Actually not, taking a WVO break.
1993 300d 2.5 275k. Current 120/day commuter
1981 300SD 188k (Hans) Killed by a deer