View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 03:02 PM

I found the problem

I was tempted to not follow up on this thread, because I am so embarrased...I am a bonehead idiot!!!!! Before I tell you what the problem was, let me just say that last week Sunday night, there was so much air in the system that it wouldnt start, and I just couldnt figure it out, so I brought the car to a mechanic (which cost me $190 to check compression, clean injection valves, check fuel pump, adjust valves, timing) , and rented a car fr the week to get back and forth to work (to the tune of $250). Not to mention, draining the tank, checking the tank strainer, blowing out lines, making a mess in the driveway, making a stinking mess of my clothes (twice), taking all day last sunday and all day today, etc. etc.

Well, I checked the fuel lines under the car and found no leaks. I borrowed a peristaltic pump from work to pump out tank, and at one point, attached both ends of the tubing to the supply and return lines from and to the tank. When I pumped fuel, the tubing was perfectly clear, no bubbles. But when I put everything back together, I still noticed air coming in.

WELL....just prior to going to the parts store to get some new fuel line, I looked at the filter again, and I noticed a little drip of fuel where the hose from the hard supply line connects to the little filter. I got the fuel line, and replaced that section in the parking lot of the parts store....and....as I said before, I am an idiot imbecile bonehead..... the car ran perfectly, with no air coming in.

That little section of hose, had cracks inside where it connects to the filter, and when the clamp was tighted, it deformed the cracks allowing air to come in!!!! Never any leaks though, as pressure is either negative or neutral...never positive on this line, and very little gravity head at that point!!!!!!

While I am in the middle of a real mess in my driveway, I am going out to change the supply and return hoses at the tank!!!

I would like to ask everyone to respond to this by thinking of a better name for me than bonehead idiot!!!!!

In retrospect, the reason why I love these cars is, as I have told many 123 owners, when something goes wrong with the car and you dont know what it is, and you start to think the worst, most often it is something very very simple. Sure enough!!!

Thanks,

Happy Idiot