View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:03 PM
All-seeing, all-knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012
You've seen extensive footage of McCarthy's rantings? You're certain that the many people whose lives he upended based on hidden evidence were a threat to our country? If you haven't I've got a movie to suggest to catch up.
Yes, I've seen a good deal of it. Thus, the comments I made regard his extremism and over-the-top approach. I guess you missed that part of my post?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012
If he was so right on, why did his fears, about communist takeover from within not come to pass? I think Murrow was the one who was right on. The Soviets were going to get the bomb, no stopping it. They weren't the dumb monkeys Truman thought they were. Why are we so willing to give ourselves the right to fear the Russkies and to seek to crush them but to think that their similar sentiments were nefarious?
Left unchecked, it very well could have happened. Or not. There is, of course, no way to know. But I always prefer to err on the side of caution in such situations, and assume a posture of defense, and pre-emption if possible.

I also never said that their fear of us was unfounded. Quite understandable, actually.

But as usual, all of the complexities and subtleties eventually boil down to the same core: Human nature. Survival of the fittest. Us or them. As much as we'd like to think we're above it or beyond it somehow, we are not.

I also happen to believe that our economic system and representative government was, and still is, superior to what they were offering.... So in an "us or them" scenario, which the cold war indisputably was, I unapologetically choose "us".

Mike
_____
1982 300D-gone---sold to a buddy
_____
1985 300TD
270,000 miles
_____
1994 E320
not my favorite, but the wife wanted it

www.myspace.com/mikemover
www.myspace.com/openskystudio
www.myspace.com/speedxband