View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

I would consider getting a dual purpose mig. One that could run flux core and switch over for gas. Not all are dual purpose by a long shot. Think you are better off around rust with the flux core but if you have basically clean metal the gas enclosure of the weld is superior in my opinion for strength and appearance. You cannot weld even in a light breeze with gas though. It blows the protective gas bubble away. Good place to buy sometimes is a bankrupcy sale of a garage business as you do not need a lot of power or a big unit. Also like far too many claims these days some brands put out what they advertise or more while others seem weak. Try to get a unit with at least 100 amp output available. The majority have thermal protection of the transformer so you do not have to worry about burning them out like you do with a stick welder. I personally found the italian built units pretty good for the money all around. At one time think 90% of the small to medium size mig welders in the world were italian built. Anyways they are quite versitile and the learning curve is a lot flatter than learning stick welding. Just my opinion.