View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Crab
Hi,

I drive an 84 300SD turbo. It's had a nice handful of problems this year, but otherwise it runs fine.

the latest problem is the rear left passenger window is stuck in the "down" position. I have no place or time (or knowhow) to fix it myself, so I took it to the place this car has always gone to. The guy there told me the part (regulator?) would cost 225.00. I asked if he could just fix the window so it won't go down anymore, basically disabling it and keeping it stuck in the "up" position, and he said no they couldn't, it just kept falling back down.

Is this a ploy on his part, or should I just pay them to make the window work again? It's a hefty sum of cash for such a seemingly small, and nearly insignificant thing...as I don't give a lot of folks rides!

thanks in advance for the insight.
To answer your question:
No you are no being BS'ed.
As you can see the part is 195.00 in Mercedesshop, so 225.00 is plausible. I if I was a mechanic I would not try to "fix" something by "making it not work in the up position".
That could bring some liabilities for the mechanic.
My suggestion is to have him replace the unit, either with a "working used" or a new one.
My two cents....
609 Certified