View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=E300D]
Also I am scared about the leaking evap. Do you think if I run the ac in winter just to cycle it, would that help in any way?

QUOTE]

My Mercedes mechanic assures me that evap failures are later W124 are rare, the exception, not the rule.

Regarding the HVAC system, Stu Ritter, technical director of The Star Magazine, wrote an article on the W124 a/c system.

He wrote that it is best to not set the wheel in the fully hot or fully cold position, and also to not set the fan blower speed to continuously on "high" or "low", but rather use the "Auto" button.

Drivers have the feeling that full heat or full A/C will get the passenger compartment to the correct temperature fastest.

This doesn't allow the system to work as designed.

To get the longest life from the automatic climate control system, allow the system to exercise all components.

If the temperature inside the car is more than 4 degrees away from the setting on the temperature wheel, the system will use full heat or full A/C regardless.

As the interior temperature approaches the setting at the climate control panel, the automatic functions will slowly reduce blower speed.

Allowing the system to work in its automatic mode, with all components functioning, will prolong the life of the system.

When flap controllers and valves (vacum operated) don't move for long periods, they tend to stick in position and ruin the component.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".