View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w126
1badav,

In live in a small town just east of Madison...

Interesting this subject has come up. Throughout this past summer I complained about some neighbors who were constantly selling cars. I counted close to a dozen from last Xmas up until late summer. I got word that the homeowner picks up these vehicles at auction and sells them from his eBay store or at another auction and even the local paper. Typically they sit out on the street our in his driveway, quite an eye sore to say the least.

I called the dealer section of the DMV and they told me some investigators would check into it. Not sure if they did or not, though their car buying habits did slow down a bit.

Finally I worked with the town board and the police chief. They sent out a letter warning them about running a biz in a residential area. Again, never got word of if they were "title jumping", but I highly suspect it. Enough so that I just emailed our chief, requesting them (or the state) to please look into it. They've been nuisance neighbors from day one, but have gotten better since about everybody within a 2 blocks have complained about them.

Since you work for the state, maybe you can, achem, check into them for me.
w126,

It seems like every neighborhood has one of these. I have Sanford and son across the street and two doors down. For the last 10 years they've been bringing home so many beater cars that they had to re-asphalt their driveway and make it bigger. Now they've outgrown their driveway and are parking cars all over their front lawn. Add to that all the boats and general crap that they've got piled in their backyard and we in the neighborhood have about had it.

The widow who lives next door to them has tried being nice and talking to them, when that had no effect she had the building inspector come out and talk to them, and even had them cited. The problem dissipated for a few weeks and then resumed. It's very frustrating.

With regard to your specific situation, unfortunately unless there's some specific evidence of fraud, for all intents and purposes it's a local municipal matter. I think your approach with the chief and the town board will yield greater results. They're members of the community and therefore have a vested interest in cleaning this kind of crap up.

BTW, most municipalities have ordinances against unregistered vehicles being in plain view. Unless these people are popping for plates for each vehicle on their property,which can only be done if you own the vehicle (i.e. titled it and payed the taxes) you might want to look into having them cited. If there aren't any plates on the vehicles this being something you obviuosly can discern yourself,you might cost them some money.

However, people like this tend to just jockey the plates from car to car whether they have the right to put them on it or not because they know only someone from the DMV or law enforcement's could tell by running the plate whether it's assigned to the vehicle or not.

Unfortunately I'm not high enough up in the food chain to be able to go around sniffing in someone else's jurisdiction without repercussions. But if by chance you come by some hard evidence of fraud, by all means let me know and I'll see what I can do---either myself or by putting you in touch with someone else.

Good Luck with your headache, every time I look at mine I'll think good thoughts for you.