View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It’s two days later, and two days closer to flying out and picking up my car, but it’s still three weeks away.
My wife thinks I’m nuts tossing and turning---not able to fall asleep at night. I’m glad she knows this is a car I’m doing this over and not thinking it’s another woman!
How do you split a Benz in half in a marital property state? How do you decide who gets what half?
Any way I have to admit I am very concerned about driving a car with no rust on it, all the way from PA back to WI in the dead of winter. After I’m done here I plan to do a search to see what other forum members have to say about rust proofing. Some might suggest a car hauler---I just don’t trust an auto hauler with my car. I’m sure there are plenty of people who have had good experiences with this, but that’s not my luck.
My luck is what happened to me last summer when I discovered tranny fluid under my ’88 Monte Carlo SS in the garage. I was afraid to drive it to the dealership for fear of damaging the transmission, so a friend who had AAA called for a flatbed. If the vehicle he is a passenger in needs to be towed, his coverage covers it.
So out of the garage we push the car, the flatbed arrives, the guy drops the flatbed to pick up the car, and proceeds to put two 6 inch wide and ½ inch deep divots into my freshly re-asphalted driveway.
I couldn’t believe it! When I pointed out to the guy what he had just done, he said I should call the owner because all of the drivers told him not to remove a support piece because that was what was going to happen. Well if this idiot knew this why didn’t he forewarn me before dropping the bed----I could have pushed the car out onto the road and then not incurred this problem.
Then to top it off, the guy delivers the car to the dealership, takes the car off the flatbed just inside the service dept overhead door and closes the Monte Carlo’s door with the keys in it, thereby causing the electric door locks to engage in the down position and the windows are of course up.
Now the car is locked, I don’t have a spare set of keys ‘cause the wife has them and is out of town for a few days, and no one can enter or exit the service dept. Needless to say I had four mechanics there in no time flat, all working on my car with slides, hangers and everything else to unlock the doors. It actually was quite comical in retrospect----just not at the time.
This is why I wouldn’t trust a car hauler----I don’t have good luck with these types of transactions.
Hey guess what….It’s five minutes closer to my picking up my Benz!