View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
I could probably flip my 300SD for $800-$1k. I cleaned it up a bit and it runs and drives well enough. I may to in the next year or so.

I paid $500 for it plus about $300 worth of stuff to get it running and registered. If I sold it for $1k I would just make a couple of bucks.
What about the hours of labor you've put into it? May not be much, but if you include all that would you still have made a profit? Perhaps you'd just break even.

My Euro 500SEL was nothing but a money grabbing POS. I just had bad luck on that car. I bought it with a slipping 4th gear. I replaced the transmission with one from an '89 420SEL with just 112K miles that got totalled in an accident. Less than 1,000 miles later, that transmission died. At that point I decided to part out the car but many different people who promised to buy parts just didn't keep their word(s). Then I thought about parting it out and selling the parts to forum members as well as on eBay, but I landed a big contract for my business and simply couldn't waste my time on that. So I sold the entire car on eBay at a huge loss... when I add the property tax I just paid on the POS, the losses come up to a grand total of $2,080. My calculation may be flawed though, as that figure includes the cost of car registration, titling and insurance while I owned the car. But to me, I had to let go of the car not by my own accord but due to the mechanical failure in the car, so those are included in the loss.

On the other hand, I've made money on two old diesels (1981 300CD, 1982 300SD) I bought at auctions and re-sold on eBay without spending even $0.01 on top of my purchase prices. I made $600 on the first and then $710 on the second. Then I could have also made money on a 1984 300D with 186K miles I saw on sale for $800 but I decided to let a forum member have it (Anyone interested in a $800 '84 300DT?)