View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 03:39 PM

The glue guy...

I am sure you guy's are real nice guys - but I wonder about your glue thing. I could say a lot about adhesives - Just where do you want to go with that? I have a MB 123 - and I had the exact same problem - the strip on the glove box. I do like super glue gel - but only for very small stuff, a small piece of broken plastic or something. Any super glue is not used for any big glue jobs - have you ever seen it sold in quarts? Or even a bottle? NO! Just dinky little tubes used for applying a drop of glue. For that, it is great, and you don't even have to hold it together long... It is good for glueing cuts (skin) back together, by the way. Anyway, I didn't want the strip on my glovebox to EVER come off again so I used MANLEY glue - Epoxy! The 7000 year glue. Never again in anyone's son's lifetime with that ever move. The problem with that is execution. Mix the right additive, make it kinda pasty, and DON'T make a mistake - no excess anywhere, wood squished in perfectly in position. --- If you glue anything right, execution is vital - or you become less than professional overnight. Of course if you used good glue and made a mistake, you are glued - kinda like screwed... You won't be able to take it apart. For the average person, I would recommend cleaning everything well, and carefully putting a THIN amount of clear silicone adhesive on the wood, with just half a smidgen more right in the middle of the wood, in a row of LITTLE dots, smooching in into place carefully, and removing any excess by scraping gently with a pointed knife and a number of paper towels to wipe the knife with each stroke, and clamping and or weighting or pressing the wood perfectly into place overnight. If there is any residue visible, you should be able to carefully and gently cut and scrape it with a razorblade until it looks like new. Unless of course, you glued it on twisted or something... Many glues are not approporate for this job, because there can be mosture in the car, which will break down in time. Adhesives that remind you of rubber will also break down in time, I think that is what MB used in the first place... Gorilla glue is WOOD glue, sure they will sell it to you for use on anything, THEY want to sell glue! It is really for dry, indoor wood... I don't like it much, it is just a bit better than the 'Elmer's' that we all used in grade school to stick our snowflakes to our mum's Christmas Cards... ~Levon~