View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I miss my MBZ

I appreciate the response this thread has garnered...

I agree that an SL (any...) and a Miata are different cars - but the wife has already expressed a like for the looks of a '73 SL (and there is NO question whether or not either of us fit in it comfortably. If she likes a car, the chances of it helping our marraige (instead of hurting it) go up - and since my commute is 45 minutes of pure highway, having an old SL over a new sporty droptop isnt all bad...(I do enjoy sporty, good handling cars though...)

Volkl42 - I would LOVE to have a dual sport (KLR or similar) to play with. I've thought about losing the honda and getting a concours or a KLR650 (honduh and suzi make similar models) - big enough motor to commute with, dirty enough to leave the pavement if I feel so inclined - I dont have a lot of off-road experience, so I'm not gonna attack the places where a 650 would be too heavy a bike)

My other half: She has her own car so she just wants me to have the car(s) that make me happy. As I said before, she likes the Katana (stock bodywork, she likes the way it looks, and the memories...). I bought the silverwing for her to ride on more comfortably, but it has issues-
1) Its frame is REALLY loose comapared to...well..anything, a newer anything would be more enjoyable to ride. I could throw money at it to make it better, but see #3 =)
2) She's gonna be a mom in 4 months, so she doesnt want to ride any motorcycle with me (lest our child be orphaned...) any more
3) The silverwing IS the motorcycle equivalent of the 240D, make me an offer, but y'know, I'm sick of low-power old stuff, and one low-power old machine is enough =) If I'm gonna get another underpowered old bike, it'll be my father's R65 (at least that can have 900cc jugs bolted on =)

But she's said (more than a few times, despite my desire to get it in writing =) that I can have any car I want - and I dont want a car (or cars =) =) =) that are gonna bankrupt us...

No, I'm not making payments on anything right now (save her car) and I like that, but I'm still paying insurance and $50/yr to register each machine, and that adds up. I might not reduce the net stable size, but if I can get more fun out of the machines I have...
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)