View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Achieving Salvation

Computer Gurus: VPN issues ...

I'm trying to help my brother-in-law solve a menacing problem with his VPN.

He is trying to connect to his company's VPN via the Cisco VPN client software. I have never done this before - I've only linked VPNs together across the Internet and have little experience with the client. Here's what happens:

1. He has cable modem high-speed service at home. He cannot connect to his PC at work via Remote Desktop from home - states that the machine can't be found. Indeed, it cannot. Ping requests and tracerts fail.

2. If I disable the NIC and use his Earthlink dial-up service, I can get into his PC at work with no problem. It's slllllllllllllllllllllow, but works.

Initially. I thought it might be a problem with the router. He's using a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router, which has worked fine thus far. I tried to tweak a few settings in the router, and even attempted to expose his home machine to the Internet by making it a DMZ host. All of my efforts produced no favorable results. I really can't think of anything else to tweak in the router to make this work.

Another thought I had was perhaps the ISP has some kind of block filter on VPN protocols and it can't work. I can VNC to his machine though - set that up in the router, and the Internet IP is dynamially routable, so I made the few port changes in the router and can get in with no problems. If this works, I would highly doubt that VPN services wouldn't.

Anybody have any insights or further things I could try?

Thanks!
-Michael