View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 AM

The pilot's certificate will take you at least forty hours of flight time to get; sixty is more typical, though, because people spread out their training, take breaks for financial or other reasons, etc.

The least expensive way to get the full pilot's license is to take several weeks off work or school, go to somewhere like Arizona, and enroll in a high-intensity flight training program. Google for such schools. If you're flying every day, your total hours before you're ready for the test will be reduced.

Otherwise, I'd suggest just spreading out your time, which is what most people do. Pick an airport that is not in a major city, as airplane and fuel costs are greater at the larger airports. Look for an instructor with more experience versus less, because a more experienced or a career instructor will be more efficient and effective as a teacher. Work out an agreement with another flight student to observe eachother's instructional flights, assuming the airplane is large enough to allow this; you can get a lot out of observing others' instruction.

Also, think about joining the Experimental Aircraft Association or the Civil Air Patrol, where you can get to know other pilots, get some back seat or copilot time, and in the case of CAP, get some related training on the cheap or even free.

Feel free to PM me for more info/advice/questions. I was a full-time instructor for two years and still do some here and there, and have given over 1000 hours of flight instruction. I'm out of the country through the 6th of January but may be on from time to time.