View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
I'm considering trading/selling my 98 E320 and getting a C-Class. I've read some low and some high reviews on this model. I'd like to hear from some current owners/enthusiasts as to what are some things to look for or expect on this model. I'm told some C classes are made in Germany and some are made in Brazil, the Brazilian ones being of poor quality. Any opinions/advice on this series of C class would be appreciated. I've seen prices from the high 16's to the mid 23's. I feel a reasonbly low mileage (25k to 45k) should be around 18 to 19 thou. Agree? Disagree? Thanks for any and all input.

You are in luck. I own a 1998 E320 and I also own a 2002 C320 (which I bought for one of my daughters). So I can speak as to both cars.

The E series and the C series are two completely different cars. The E is bigger inside and so the ride quality is more "luxurious." The C feels more like a sports car (I bought her the wagon).

I like driving both cars, but for different reasons.

Incidentally I have driven my E320 1800 miles (round trip) to Santa Fe New Mexico and the car was extrremely comfortable. I have not taken the C320 on a long trip (my daughter won't let go of it) but it is still a very comfortable car. My former 1991 420SEL and 1984 300SD were both very comfortable on long trips. But for sheer comfort, none of my Benzes can beat the comfortable seats in my other daughter's 2002 Volvo V70 wagon (my kids love wagons and I am only too happy to indulge them). I have owned Volvos in the past and their seats are consistently more comfortable than any other car's seats.

Whether you get a C class or an E class will largely depend on what you want to get from your car. Both cars are good cars and excellent machines. Both are fun to drive and both are great in their own right.

The E rides light and handles nicely. The C wagon feels like a sports car with a huge trunk attached to it!!!! The steering in the C wagon is tighter than in the E sedan.

I've not had major problems with either car. The C wagon is still covered by the Starmark warranty.

I think either car will be a great choice. Let me kow if you have more specific questions.

Good luck....

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!

Last edited by BENZ-LGB; 12-30-2005 at 12:34 AM.