View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:50 AM

87 300D Replacing Motor Mounts - Need Advice

I am considering replacing my motor mounts.

When I purchased my car from my in-laws 8 years ago w/125k miles....they were quite upset at the car shaking that was going on. I replaced the motor mounts and the shaking went away! That was 8 years ago and 150k miles later, the car is shaking more than I would like. The current mounts also look a little flattened. I have purchased 2 new engine mounts and would like to install myself if possible with the hope of reducing the car rocking slightly back and forth at idle!

The car is 87 300D - 603 engine with 278k miles.

1) Is this a DIY type of job and how long should it take? (I am a novice with increasing confidence....for example....I have recently replaced all my glow plugs myself)
2) Where should jack be placed in order to safely lift up engine and not break something?
3) Are there any special tools, procedures, or precautions that should be taken in order to to this job? (It kinda looks like a straight-forward type of job...just put new engine mount where old one was.)
4) Also, my old engine mounts look like big rubber round blocks and new mounts are encased in metal and are supposed to be proper OEM part for my car...does this sound right? I was expecting the old and new mounts to look closer to the same thing.

Thanks for any advice that can be passed my way.

1987 300D (277,000)
1995 E300 Diesel (122,000)