View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Resident Idiot

Service info CD's can be found on EBAY for under $75, the tools are another matter. As a former VW TDI owner, I must agree with those who are saying there is much more DIY info out there for the newer VW's than there is for the newer Mercedes. The tdiclub website is awesome if you have a BW diesel. The members in my area often have GTG's (get togethers). These can be purely social or purely mechanical. We had one just to remove intake manifolds and clean them, got the job done on maybe 15 cars in one afternoon. In addition once a year they rent out a shop with a dyno to see what effects certain mods have on their cars. I can remember one person dynoing his car with the stock paper air filter element, then replacing it with a K&N element and re-dynoing, then removing some of the air intake snorkeling and snow screen and then re-dynoing, ect. It is a really interesting and tight-knit community. I miss it, although I still visit the website. I'm having a fairly negative experience with my new CDI. No problems with the car, it is wonderful and so far problem free, but the dealers are not helpful unless they have your credit card in their hand and are either ignorant when it comes to the diesel, or just plain arrogant and withhold information. And what's with this$230 oil change at 13,000 miles? It was quite a stretch for me to purchase this car, maybe I'm out of my league