Thread: Fuel Tank Light
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBroke
This makes sense, since Butterball has a build date of 6/82. Here's some more info, which may just confuse me more. If I put in an 85 cluster (just the left section), the low fuel light comes on during the pre start test. I've swapped bulbs, measured resistance between pins 4&5, and everything else I can think of, and the 82 cluster will not light on startup. I ran out of fuel before, but since it had a clogged tank screen, I'm not sure it was close enough to empty to turn on the low fuel light. In my case, it seems as if I want a low fuel light, I'm gonna have to find an 83-85 cluster section.
That makes sense, the circuit that lights the bulb in "test" mode when the key is turned on would be internal to the cluster. I found the same thing when I replaced the cluster in my 82 with a later version (due to a leaky oil gauge). If you want that "test" function, AFAIK you will have to replace the left cluster section with the later version.

Edit: I just reread your post, AFAIK the low fuel light will still work correctly (when you a low on fuel) even if it doesn't have the "test" function when you first turn on the key. Al that function does is tell you if the bulb is burnt out. My 82 works correctly with both the old and new style cluster.

Last edited by Craig; 12-31-2005 at 09:02 PM.