View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 09:15 PM

Today, my wife and I went to a local (and new) Benz dealer to test drive an '02 C-240. The car was Black/Black (not my favorite combo, but a helluva good looking Benz) and had a CD and heated seats as options. Seats were mechanical (back and forth) and electric otherwise. The car had 47K on the odometer. Asking price was $22,900. We drove it a short distance and upon return to the dealership asked the salesman what kind of deal we could make on a trade for my 98 E-320. My wife liked the C. Here is the best deal they would give (keep in mind, this is the last day of the year and the salesman, so he said, was within 2 sales of a bonus, or so he said). They wanted to give me $7600 for my E, (clean as a pin and serviced as it should be, 112K) and sell me the C for $15,300 plus tax and fees. Tax for me means 6.5% and fees were $95. I offered them my car and $13,500 out-the-door for the C. The car was not a CPO car and had but 4K left on any warranty. They reciprocated with something like, $14,500 plus tax, etc. I walked, having been underwhelmed by the car, and the deal. I felt like I was pretty fair, and might have moved on my offer some, but the salesman's manager said (you know, the guy they bring in after the first guy you talk to says he's gone as far as he can without talking to God) with his final offer "I'm all in". Having had this experience, a C-class still could be a contender to replace the E. There were many things I liked about the car, but his great forum made me aware of some of the intricacies that I might have otherwise overlooked (the "cheap feel" of some controls, for example. What are your opinions on this "deal"? I felt my offer was pretty fair. Thanks again for all the great input.