View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987
Thanks Brian. Will the tape do the trick even though there's actual damage to the wire, though? The wire itself appears shredded, so I wasn't sure if it should perhaps be replaced. Or will the tape hold it together enough that the damage won't matter?

Also, is there any particular brand of electrical tape I should buy? Obviously I want to make sure I use something that's going to stand up to whatever devoured the original insulation.
If there are many broken strands in the wire, it might be prudent to replace it. You can do this if you follow Pete's recommendation above. I'm sure that 16 gauge wire will be more than adequate. At the opposite end, where it enters the wiring harness, you'll need to solder it and tape it carefully.

No special electrical tape needed. Just stretch the tape as you wrap it. The distance between each wrap should be about 1/8". You'll lay down about four layers of tape over the top of the soldered joint to thoroughly protect it. Make sure that you start the tape at least 1" away from the joint and end the tape at least 1" beyond the joint. The tighter you can pull and wrap the tape........the better.

I've also had some success with heat shrink tubing. However, the irregularity of the soldered joint doesn't readily lend itself to a very clean heat shrink job.........so........the tape will probably be best.