View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
YCAGWYW

no 3rd or 4th AND tranny lockout?

very informative exchange on this thread.. thanks for the previous efforts..

A bit of history before my question..

my '85 300D has been suffering similar transmission troubles.. not going into 4th,, which was attempted to be remedied by a non-MB tranny guy, (a very experienced tranny guy and a friend who only has my best interest in mind)

His efforts included rebuilding the tranny twice. Problem persisted. The car had to "relocate" from Boston to Ohio, so I flew in and began my drive back to ohio, expecting to have to make the trip in 3rd gear.

I found that I was able to "trick" the tranny into 4th by momentarily slipping the shifter into neutral from "D" and back into "D" This made the expected back road trip into an interstate highway trip and everything went fine on the way home to Ohio.

Since then, the car started refusing to go into 4th, then added to its nastiness, a refusal to go into 3rd. SO.. we began thinking of it as an "around the town" car and simply kept the speed under 30mph..

NOW.. "Pain", (my name for this 300d, see below) has a new tactic. Today it added a new trick. From Drive, and with the engine running, it refused to go into reverse or park. If the engine is off, the tranny shifts into Park or Reverse just fine.

SO.. while my new ohio MB mechanic in on vacation in the Land of Enchantment, should I be trying anything to remedy my PAIN?

thanks Frank
'81 black 300TD Fenix, risen and sold, now residing in NJ