View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Achieving Salvation

['00 W202] LCD temp & trip displays and Non-Kompressor Engine ...

Hi friends -

Am really enjoying my "new" C230K - been doing great thus far. Have noticed one small problem from time to time though. When it's cold out and I first begin driving, I sometimes notice that the LCD readout on the temperature and the trip odometer are garbled with little bits of the LCD not reading through. The clock, transmission gear indictor and odometer all read fine. Eventually when things warm up, the garbled bits eventually begin showing again, and it displays normally. Has anyone else had this problem?

Was also doing some reading on a Mercedes engine web page, as well as on this forum. I've read several posts on rebuilding the turbocharger ("kompressor") or installing one should one be wanted. I've seen HUGE $$$ on the V-8's in excess of $10k for a turbo installation, but no real figures on the C230. Is this what I can expect to pay should I ever need to worry about rebuilding/rebuilding the kompressor on the C230? If not, what's a realistic figure?

Another thought I had - if it's mega $$$, would it be cheaper to buy a non-turbocharged M111 (the 111.974) and stick that in? Is it even possible to do that?

I have an extended warranty to 100k, so I really don't care, but inquiring minds want to know.

Happy driving,
Michael