View Single Post
Old 07-26-2001, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the input

You know, this web site is the most helpful spot for Mercedes information. I have 270k on my 84 300D with a manual transmission and recently one of my C/V boots started leaking. I was thinking of selling it and buying a 1998-1999 E300 DT. They are still selling for MSRP even with 20-40K miles on them. No deal. Then I thought, who else would have a Turbo Diesel with a 5-spd. Answer: VW. I drive 110 miles each day to/from work and something was appealing about 49 mpg. Test drove the 2001 Golf TDI. The ride does not even compare and they want close to $20k for them.

My solution: Keep the Benz and put a few hundred bucks into a new rear axle and replace the fuel line at the exit of the tank. (Funny coincidence how the first C/V to go was right under the fuel tank.

I really appreciate knowing how easy it is to work on the W123's. As this is my first Benz, I thought they were all like that. I guess not. I kind of like not having a computer on board. Armed only with the Fastlane, Performance Products, and the 123 Maintenance CD, I can get any problem solved within a week and be back on the road. I am so grateful I found a Do-it-Yourself garage in North Olmstead, OH for $7.50/hour lift time.

Some other comments: 270k miles - original windshield is all pitted - I guess I will anty up in the spring and put in new OEM glass.

Ohio climate is starting to rust out my driver's side rear fender and back door. - guess I will undercoat to try and protect.

Anybody know when the official recommendation is by MB for replacing the timing chain?? Can't seem to find that on the CD.

Thanks,

'84 Euro 300D 5 spd manual 317k miles - sold