View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 PM
LarryBible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
Larry,

Either way, the end result was you had to completely rebuild the engine twice in 510 kmiles. I don't consider that particularly impressive.

In 510kmiles, you did 170 oil changes @ about 7 quarts per change. That's 1190 quarts of oil at a cost of approximately $1785 (assuming $1.50/quart for the prices in the old days).
Add to that the filter cost of say $5 each for another $850, for a total of $2635. This assumes no labor cost as you are free.

If you just would have gone to changing your oil every 5kmiles, the total cost would only be $1581 for a savings of $1054, and that's the factory recommended interval.

I don't see how you figure that spending that extra $1000 is worth it. You'd be better off changing that oil every 5kmiles and putting that $1000 in a coffee can waiting for the time you need some parts.

And remember, a lots of other things can take that car off the road at any time, and none of them oil related. If that happens, all your precious oil changes go down the drain. I'd rather have the $1000 in my pocket.

Joe
I will say again. The only thing that was wrong with the engine at 380,000 miles was a leaking rear main seal. I chose to overhaul at that time because the engine was coming out anyway. Maybe 380,000 miles does not impress you and that is fine. I wonder what would happen if we polled engine life. How many engines do you think have made it to the 380,000 mile mark and were still running? I'm sure that there are some that go farther, but there quite a few that don't make it that far.

Now tell me. How are you going to PROVE that it would have gone that far with 10,000 mile oil changes? The answer is that you can no more prove that, than I can prove that it would not have gone that far unless I had changed at 3,000. So AGAIN it is the CHOICE OF THE DRIVER as to how often he chooses to change oil.

As I have told you more than once. YOU change the oil at the interval of your choice and I will do the same. That way we are both happy. Do you have a problem with both of us being happy?

Believe it or not, I DON'T CARE if you EVER change your oil or not. I choose to change mine frequently. So does that make me the devil? According to one of your earlier statements, it sure sounds like you think so.

Have a great day,