View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Großmeister, OBK #7

I'm fairly confident i'm onto something.....

iv driven my car now 40,000 miles since i got her......her mileage is today 240,149....

most of the use has been doing pizza deliveries, also a few long cross-country trips.......all since last dec......(a year ago)......

i had been using amsoil in my other cars i had, and my brothers use it in their bikes, so i switched all the fluids......anywas, i just wanted to mention that my motor runs like hell, and the turbo screams loud.......the 70-100 acceleration is sweet......

i am gradually "phasing out" changing it completely, and only doing a quart every 10k miles, and changing the filters then too......as she consumes no oil at all basicly, i think the little bit that escapes around my breather is all thats missing............im going to have an oil analyisis done at 20 k miles on this fill, with one filter change, and see......if its ok, i will continue not changing, under warranty from amsoil, who is confident in their analyis lab......i just read about a mc-cormick diesel tractor in their quarterly magazine, that they send to customers......its been 25 years since an oil change, looked brand new inside, and he added 1 quart per year, and apparently had been using it the whole time.......

i just wanted to throw this into the whole wear discussion......when u take my valve cover off, shes SHINY inside, and clean, other than a little oilyness from the residual amsoil........not a speck of dirty old gunky diesel-ness anymore.....shes recovered from years of oxidizing petroleum gunk, 200,097 miles was on her already, and she'd stood for 2 years when i got this car..........im fairly confident in reaching the million mile zero rollover in this car, with the original turbocharger, cams, and valves......i may change the timing chain sometime, for good measure, but it isnt a priority for me now.......and DEFINATELY, other than going to the Daimler-Benz Museum, this Coupe Diesel Turbo is never leaving my possessioinisn, EVER!

oh yeah, i use their Series 3000 100% Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, which has the SAE 5w-30 ratings, winter cold temmperature flow index, and SAE Viscosity, respectively.....this means that the fluids properties are within the performance specs of the motors oiling system......as in the manual, u could'v used lightweight petro oil in super cold, due to the temps staying cooler.....of course, it cant protect it at all in higher temps, because it thins, and the film strength goes to nothing, etc.......so u make up for it with super thick oils......

this fluid is protecting already twice better in wear protection, film strength, and heat transfer, so everything stays cool also, even after racing all over town on delivery, or down the highway, the oil cooler always remains cool now, meaning that the engines parts are getting well lubricated (no heat causing friction) and that shes being constantly kept cool by the cool returning oil, so the oil cooler is actually efficient now........and the engine has much less oil drag now, and the turbo spins up faster, and on the highway really wails, like never at all when i first got her.......also, because of how she fires up instantly, even when its cold out, i know the compression is high.......and thats a given, as amsoil also ends up letting the rings seal better, reducing or eliminating the nasty blow-by.......

what do you guys think.....

I believe in extreme automotive perfection whenever possible.......there is no such thing as "It doesn't matter" !!!

1985 300 CDT - 287k miles

1980 240 D - 340k miles

With extras !!

http://facebook.com/BenzDieselTuner

http://facebook.com/SWFLAlternativeFuelsClub

http://facebook.com/SWFLBenzClub

http://SWFLBenzClub.com