View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 AM
LarryBible

GEEeeeEE Whiiiizzz!!!!!

I will never complain about the the Texas heat in August ever again!!!! As a carnut, I am sooo glad that I don't live in rust country. You carguys in salt country have LOTS of guts and determination.

It took me quite awhile to load those pictures on my boondocks 22K dial up and now I'm so sick I wonder why I went through that pain.

So, as you can tell I have ZERO experience repairing rusted out cars. I do however have experience welding and patching stuff. I agree with Petes suggestion. I would grind everything VERY clean and tack it down in a few places all around while holding the metal down with the big screwdriver as he suggests. THEN make short welds halfway between each of those tacks. Then go back around making more short welds halfway between those tacks and so forth until you get it all welded together. Then go underneath with a generous amount of that spray can undercoating after the job is done.

Also I don't know if your welder is set up for gas or only for flux core, but I personally would NOT use flux core. I would use Argon/CO2 and .030 ERS70S6. For this job you really also need a good, comfortable auto darkening helmet.

Best of luck and keep us posted,