View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Fix Rust or Go Bust?

My '83 300D has a typical floorpan rust problem from years of water getting in and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing or if I should begin looking for another car. Some background: I'm owned the car for a little over two years and it's currently at 208K miles and running fine. The engine doesn't burn or leak oil and is running real strong. The tranny shows no signs of dying. I've worked real hard to get everything working properly (including the odometer and cruise control!) and the only problems now are the left rear window (needs new regulator) and the power antenna (probably needs a new mast). I recently upgraded the stereo with all new speakers and a brand new Kenwood head unit with built-in Sirius.

I mention all this because - as much as I'd like to be freed from the curse of rust - I'm reluctant to start all over again. I don't have space to stash this car if I go get another one, so pulling parts from it, etc. is not an option. I either would sell it as a parts car or put it up on eBay and make a full disclosure as to the extent of the rust. Which is a problem since I really don't know how bad it is - I've yet to put the car on a lift and take a good look. What I've seen so far doesn't make me feel good: the driver's side front pan is pretty perforated, as is the rear passenger pan. I'm sure the other areas aren't that great either. My question to you folks, who probably know about this than me, is: can this be fixed for a reasonable amount or is time to let go?