View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L
After dismantling a few engines that were fed a stead diet of Mobil 1, I can agree that it cleans things up.

And you can't change your oil too often, except for your pocketbook. Although you probably don't need to change the filter when you aren't changing the oil. I'd do the opposite.
I did a lot of reading in the forums here and was initially apprehensive about using Mobil 1 because of all the talk about engines leaking after adding it. But my car already has seepage -- no puddles, but various areas of oily dampness on the engine block -- so I probably will not notice.

As for the filter, I was applying aquarium logic. A moderately dirty aquarium filter is better than a brand-new one since it captures more fine particles; however a very dirty and clogged one is useless and overflows. I suppose one week is too short a time for an oil filter to get dirty, so I may hold off on that for another month as well.

One thing I did discover is that only the plier-type oil filter wrenches work (at least in the awkward confines of my engine bay). The others are useless.

Also, would punching a hole in the top of the filter drain it? I unscrewed mine and a pint of oil chugged out.

------------------------------------
Gone but not Forgotten:
2001 E430 4matic, 206,xxx miles, Black/Charcoal
1995 E320, 252,xxx miles, Black/Grey
1989 260E, 223,00 miles, Black/Black