View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Space for Rent

Mercedes, like BMW, is building cars that are almost indistinguishable from other brands.

The 126 was similar in many ways to the Rolls Royce of that era. If you've ever seen a 560 SEL next to a late 80's RR, you know what I mean. But still you'd never mistake one for the other.

No other brand of car looks like a w126. And there is no question of the manufacturer.

On the other hand, I had a silver BMW 3-Series as a loaner car the other day when my Z3 was in the shop. I came out of a restaurant and nearly climbed into a Volvo that looked like the same car.

My buddy has a Z3 and a new BMW 6 series. He gets far more compliments on the 7 year-old Z3 than his $93,000 6 series. To me, this new S-Class is the same. Just like it's predecessor, you could switch the badging around and convince people it's a Lexus, Infiniti or something else.

I'm sure the ride is incredible but the styling would never make me want to buy a new S class.

My two cents...

Bill

Mods:
Euro Headlights w/Smoked Corners
New seats from a `91
ASA 15-Hole Replicas
Sony HU, JL Audio 400/4 Amp, JL Audio 2-way Components on rear deck, JL Audio 3-way Components in door & dash.

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster 33k
2002 Toyota Rav4L 50k