View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrad97
Update:
The dump I got was not from a SDS and I did not get any fuel trim readings.
And I sprayed the cleaner directly into the throttle body without the breather tube in place.
Never heard of that solving any problems, but I could be wrong. You'll need to use SDS to get real diagnostic info. The reason AutoZone etc. charge nothing for OBD-II code reading is that in many cases, it's useless info.

Quote:
Update:
But another symptom that my C230 has had for at least 10,000 miles is that there was a BAD hesitation at around 4500 RPM when passing. (AMM?)
Classic AMM symptom. An AMM showing that can have an adaptation value not sufficient to trip the CEL, but cause running problems. Been there.

Quote:
Update:
I saw the trick where you put the AMM in a plastic bag with rubbing alcohol and shake it and then dry it and reinstall. I tried it. Prior to doing that, the best I could get from my car was about 1000 RPM, after reinstall, I was able to drive around the block a couple of times at up to about 3500 RPM's with very little missing and actually almost drivable. Impossible before.
Cleaning an AMM does not work and is a very short term solution at best, as you have found out. It sounds like your AMM is bad if the "cleaning" helped at all.

Quote:
Update:
If I get it running halfway decent, should I attempt to disconnect the battery and clear the CEL before taking it to the shop? Or just leave it alone?
Disconnecting the battery is not a solution to a CEL under OBD-II. If you actually solve the problem, the CEL will go out on it's own after a certain number of key-cycles/time/etc. without the problem occuring. Without reading your adaptation values I would guess that you have a bad AMM and probably plug-ends that are in need of replacement. Driving the car with a bad AMM is not kind to it as it cannot operate within the proper fuel/air ratio range.

I would say that you might want to find a knowledgable mechanic. Contrary to what many say, paying for good diagnostic help can actually save you TONS on parts "throwing" as per DIY. The SDS is a valuable tool that can provide incredible information. I had a CEL the other day and my mechanic had the diagnosis in less than five minutes and within ten minutes the problem was solved (the little "tick-tick-tick" emissions valve who's name completely escapes me right now...) The half-hour labour charge was CHEAP compared to the mess I might have created had I tried "tracking it down" myself.

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4050/tophat6.gif