View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Just bought a 300-SD

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a nice white on white 300-SD. it was a 2 owner car, second owner bought it just coming off of a 3 year lease. both owners were Dr's, and the only reason the 2nd owner sold it was because he just died I guess that's not too un common though, he did own it for 2 decades and I suspect he was around 60 when he bought it.

Well, about the car. Always serviced at the Mercedes-Benz dealer, I have all the receipts for oil changes and service. They were very picky about the 30,000 mile services, had them on time every time. It’s had it's share of $1000-$2500 bills from the dealer for things that obviously still worked but were not performing up to their maximum spec. the fuel injection pump was just recently replaced in 2002 (quite a bill). It's also had regular trans services; I think that was included in the 30,000 mile service because every time he had that done, they also wrote that they changed the trans fluid.

Now it seems that just about everything works on the car, it's pretty fast for a diesel but there are a few quirks. The main thing I think I should get fixed is the one jacking point. I looked the car completely over, and that's the only spot it has rust. it's not that bad, but in a few years it could get much worse with our PA winters. Has anyone had this rust repair done on the 126’s? Also, this may just be normal for the car but the trans takes about 1 and 1/2 second to actually go into gear after the gear you want is selected. For example, if you put it into gear you can't just drive off as soon as you have selected it. you have to wait till the trans actually engages it. This is especially annoying when you are trying to do a maneuver like parallel parking swiftly while holding up traffic. maybe normal with the older Mercedes 4 speed autos or maybe needs a trans fluid change again? Perhaps I am just to used to driving manual, maybe this is just how the automatics work…

that's about all that's wrong with the car. Everything electronic in the car works perfectly, power leather seats are in great shape, inside and out it still looks new. The original white paint is a bit crazed when you look at it very closely, but it’s still quite presentable. Pictures are included because I know you guys are going to demand it I also own a saab 900 and when ever anyone posts on the forums with a new car pictures are the first thing everyone asks for.

Last edited by DeLorean; 02-13-2006 at 01:27 PM.