View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 12:40 PM

DIY, bliss or clinical addiction? A bit OT.

To start off with, my 85 300D is the first car that I have ever did the maintainence on (other than oil and air filter changes). I have come to the conclusion that a lot of this is getting to be an addiction . I have over the last month changed: radiator (leaking, patched with epoxy while waiting on new then installed new when it arrived), flushed/filled cooling system (the water part was distilled water, MB collant @$22 a gal ), while I was flushing I decided to change the thermostat and upper and lower radiator lines "since I was there anyway", two oil changes, rear diff fluid change (second change will be this weekend, since I changed to synthetic and the previous fluid was VERY NASTY), manual trans fluid change, power steering filter/fluid change, changed 1/2 brake fluid (drained the resivuor, will do again two more times), rotated tires (got a scare when I set the front back down and the front was around 6 inches higher than when I started, but it did "settle" back down after driving around the block), adjusted parking brake tension, checked brake pad thickness, replaced glow plugs, primary and secondary fuel filters, replace all fuses... I think you get the idea.

Granted a lot of this was necessary since I received no records from the PO and since the odo was replaced with a new one at 800km before I got the car, I do not know how many miles are on the car (a good thing too considering the state of the rear diff fluid).

I am coming to the conclusion that this is an addiction while I am sitting here creating an Excel spread sheet detailing items done, when they are ready again with auto calculating milage/dates and making a to do list. I have spent more time today working on this "car plan" than I have spent running my own business today . My local MB parts dude, O'Rillies parts dude and Wal-Mart cashieer all know me by name/car (it is a Euro and the MB parts dude groans to himself when he see me come in )

The big problem is that I cannot stop myself. I swear that after I replaced the radiator that the car drove better (yes, I know that is NOT the case, but it just seems to drive better *shrug*). It, I know, is a sence of a job well done and an accomplishment that I have never done (or considered) before (not to mention saving a load of $$$). I "justify" it by a lot of this was cheap/free since I did everything myself and is a "peace of mind" type thing. But how far is too far? I noticed while washing it yesterday that the rubber seal around the rear window does not look good (but not leaking) and I found myself doing a search on replacing this item. I can see this getting way out of hand (if it has not already) real fast.

I am sorry for the length, I just needed to share/vent since my darling wife was suggesting last night (valentine's day eve) that I love that car more than her . Today I remind her who is #1. Thank goodness that we are taking the van out tonight .

91 190E 2.6 5 speed 220k miles and this car still scoots!