Thread: Fuel pressure
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
LarryBible

You guys are talking about the low pressure of the fuel being delivered to the pump. Bumping this up will NOT change the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders. You will have to do something on the high pressure side that will increase the pressure at the injector.

How to do that I have no clue. I do know that if you can do something to pressure more fuel into the engine you will get more power. I also know that you will be doing this at the expense of SERIOUSLY REDUCED ENGINE LIFE.

Back in the sixties and seventies there was quite an underground racket going on. It involved "turning up" Cummins diesels and I expect that there were ways to do the same with Cats and Detroits.

Drivers would find one of these yahoos and have them do their thing, which on a Cummins involved changing a restrictor that caused more fuel to be forced into the delivery system and less rerouted to the tank. This resulted in significant power increases and seriously reduced engine life.

The drivers that did this were RARELY the owner of the truck to which they had this done. I saw some "turned up" Cummins engines that had made it no more than 30,000 miles after being turned up before needing a major overhaul. On a Cummins of the seventies 30,000 miles was nothing, they commonly went AT THE VERY LEAST a half million miles between overhauls. As you might expect the owners of these trucks had to be peeled off the ceiling.

SOOoooo.... if you want more power, go for it, but I would advise that you start shopping for engine rebuild parts as soon as you "turn it up."

Have a great day,