Thread: Fuel pressure
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Brandon314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark
liquids tend to atomize better when fed through an injector at a higher pressure. Also in a diesel the fuel spray may get a little farther before it burns because its moving faster, thus distributing heat a little better. On an OM617 I'm not sure what this will accomplish as it is injected as a thin jet that hits a ball in the prechamber.

some of the effects are shown in this report http://powerlab.mech.okayama-u.ac.jp/~esd/comodia2004/A6_1_022.pdf
But that is if the metered liquid is actually going through the injector at a higher pressure (like in my SD). To accomplish that you would have to adjust the pop pressure of the injector to a higher value than the stock 135bar for turbo motors.

I think that putting more "pre metering" pressure on the IP won't accomplish anything unless there is something in the system not doing its job.

I support upping the pop pressure slightly as it does help atomoize the fuel a little better but I don't think anyone will get much extra bang for their buck by trying to pressurize the IP's fuel inlet side. The diesel shop that I visit for questions and such also hears good reviews of a slightly higher pop pressure on the mercedes turbo engines...